Sunday, August 28, 2016

Napoleonic Reinforcements: RISK Pieces!

Just Jack from "BlackHawkHet" gave me the idea from his excellent blog that there was a wholly untapped resource for Napoleonic reinforcements - the 1993 edition of the world famous board game RISK!  I looked at the scale comparisons and thought they'd work really well with my 10mm forces and remembered, at the very least, the mounted figures looked like light hussars!

Since i'm light on British light cav (and Cavarly in general on the Anglo Allied side) I thought I'd paint these guys up as my favorite Cavaly unit the King's German Legion cavalry!

Looks pretty sharp I do say!  Admittedly I took my time on this guy.

 I flocked to ebay and noted that most of the auctions and sales weren't more than 10 or 15 bucks for the 1993 edition "board game replacement parts" lol.  360 pieces including infantry, cavalry, and the comical artillery pieces.

 Each RISK faction, identified by a color, has enough Cavalry in the bag to form 4 stand units for my 10mm forces.  There are 6 factions so that's 24 total stands.  That's worth the 15 dollar price tag alone!!  (how much do Old Glory 10mm cav go for???)  So basically, the light cav that I didn't buy at Historicon can now be painted up from these plastic troops.

THe raised detail on the castings makes it easy to paint

For comparison next to some 10mm guys
The infantry are kneeling - which is weird I couldn't find that in the Drill & Ceremonies manual from any country but they'll do.  Their footprint also enables me to do 3 ranks on 1 stand.

Painted up as an Austrian infantryman



A full stand of 9 troops.  They look pretty cool!  they could also be a French foreign regiment?


muskets on the side.


A stand of KGL Cavalry

their other side. 



God I thought I'd work my way through the Napoleonic bug but it's just gotten WORSE.  Finished a Bavarian battalion this morning and sorted 4 more, including my WARRIOR Miniatures Army bag.  God why didn't I buy them sooner???  I love the detail and the compact size of the warrior miniatures figures.  And the price is excellent too.

And everyone knows I'm always keen on saving a buck or two!

14 comments:

  1. Great work and an excellent idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! I can't take credit for it - "Just Jack" gave me the idea!

      Delete
  2. These paint up beautifully. The black undercoat really works, and your painting around it makes it a joy to see.

    A pity they don't sell the figs individually or outside the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darren,
      They do sell individually (well, without the map and cards) - check this link out - as long as you don't mind buying the cannon as well:

      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Risk-Board-Game-Replacement-Pieces-1993-Edition-Horse-Cavalry-Soldier-/252403943807?hash=item3ac472897f:g:2uEAAOSwepZXR5uE

      Delete
  3. Great looking work, they painted up nicely. It's funny how Parker Brothers made them seeing as they aren't considered to be a wargame manufacturer on the levels of Avalon Hill, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David the cavalry and the infantry turned out splendidly. I think some of my excess 10mm guns will look good with these RISK fellows crewing them.

      As I was painting the infantry up I could not help but think the same thing. They really did their homework as these RISK figures look like Voltiguers.

      Delete
  4. Rather neat! They look very good painted up. I had a look at the 'comical artillery pieces', and I agree they don't quite 'fit' as Napoleonic field pieces. But if you're into campaigns, there is your siege train, right there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ion.
      You know those Cannon would look cool on a map-board game or as you said in a siege game. Just not field pieces IMHO.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic Steve. But t'weren't my idea either, I got it from 'Gunner' who runs La Petit Armee.

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack I'll look him up! Who knows what other tid-bits of inspiration are on there.

      Delete