Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tank Week: M48A2 Patton. The School of Hard Knocks & Road Wheels

"Tank Week" begins here at Sound Officer's Call.  First up - the venerable M48 Patton fielded by the West Germans for my upcoming Hameln, Germany World War III Bridge Assault.  This is the Revell 1:72 kit and boy was it a nice one.  Barely any problems with pieces fitting and characteristically German instructions, which were excellent.  Sprayed a dark OD green on it to finish up, painted the tracks and roadwheels and then put on the decals.  

Originally this tank was supposed to be a South Vietnamese M48, but projects are projects and first things first.  Now I have another one coming in the mail that will be assembled as a Vietnam era M48 for just that purpose.  Later on in the week, German WWII Armourfast Jagdpanther, Airfix British Scimitar, and maybe a surprise or two.  Huzzah!















10 comments:

  1. Nice looking piece. Im currently building Revell's 1/72 Cromwell, wish i could say the same about the instructions and fit for that but unfortunately both are a little dodgy.

    Dave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      That's too bad - as far as models go (and I havent built one in awhile...) the instructions for the M48 were pretty easy. I wonder if it's a "skill level" thing? This kit was a very easy and quick one to put together especially the track sections which I normally hate doing.

      The only thing I said to hell with was the turret compartments and basket. I slapped the 1960's era one on there as I was in a hurry. Thanks for commenting,

      Steve

      Delete
  2. Nice work! Ironic also that Bolt Action just dropped the rules for Armoured Platoons today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work. Seemed to go together fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean. I put it together in about 2 days, not counting painting.

      Delete
  4. nice work! it is a cool looking tank, even if it is an old one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gowan. It should be old! The Scenario takes place in 1980!!!

      Delete
  5. Great tank, Steven. When you can't turn to Abrams and Challies and Leopards, the Patton is a sweet ride. Are the Brits going to get a Centurion or a Chieftain, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      That's the truth. The M48 is one of my favorites to be honest. I am in the process of building a Scimitar for my Falklands campaigns, but I really, really would like to buy both a Chieftain and a Challenger for my modern skirmish games.

      Delete